Over the last couple of years, internet usage has grown exponentially. Both large telecom and local web hosting companies alike have set up data centers to facilitate fast, smooth, and secure internet connectivity and data exchange. These facilities house critical telecommunications and computing equipment. Colocation hosting and cloud computing services are probably the bread and butter for most data centers. Broadband connectivity is an important aspect of data centers. There are two forms of broadband connectivity for data centers: Carrier specific and carrier neutral. While carrier neutral bandwidth allows multiple carriers to complete on a level playing field, carrier specific bandwidth tilts the playing field in favor of one player. Carrier neutral colocation has numerous benefits over carrier specific colocation. Below are top five advantages of this arrangement.
1) Carrier neutral colocation keeps redundancy incidences at an all time low. You have to appreciate the fact that you are placing crucial infrastructure in the hands of others irrespective of whether it is a business website or your internal data systems. As such, you need to have fast and reliable access to the same for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. According to IT best practices, two carriers are essential for any business that connects its systems to the World Wide Web. This way, your critical business systems stay on should one carrier fail. With carrier specific arrangements, one does not have alternative carrier choices.
2) With carrier neutral colocation, you get to choose important carrier factors such as security, connectivity, cooling and power independently. This way, you are sure to end up with the most reliable carrier for your business.
3) Connectivity cost- Competition in whatever niche is sure to reduce prices. Going with a carrier specific arrangement means that you will have to put up with their bandwidth product offerings. Over time, you will have to fork out more for bandwidth since moving is usually costly and presents formidable technical difficulties.
4) Different carrier networks have different flexibility levels. Carrier neutral colocation ensures that you enjoy different benefits and features as offered by different carriers. This way, you get access to specialized routing from different competing carriers.
5) Carrier neutral colocation affords businesses better portability. Clients entering a new data center can bring along their preferred carrier and not have to worry about changing to a new set of IPs. Businesses can also change carriers to ensure better connectivity when necessary. In a carrier specific arrangement, you have limited options and as such, you cannot change to another carrier should your existing carrier experience connectivity problems.
Large carrier neutral data centers like Equinix are all over the world. Ask IT colleagues for references or look for a colocation data center on your own. Plenty of options are to be had!